Managing Windows 10 Users with System Center Configuration Manager
Many of our customers often ask us how we empower end users and allow IT to manage a large fleet of varying desktops. One way we’re able to do this is through Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM).
How can System Center Configuration Manager help me?
System Center Configuration Manager 2012 R2 SP1 includes the following features:
- Support for Windows 10 OS Deployments and imaging to existing hardware
- Native support for SQL Server 2014 for System Center backend infrastructure
- Discover exactly where and how many pieces of software are installed with Asset Intelligence
- Check versions of files and collect files from systems with Software Inventory
- Deploy Microsoft updates to Windows 10 and previous operating systems for enterprise-wide standardization
- Remediate non-compliant systems by utilizing baselines to automatically run scripts and change registry and other system values back to standardized values
How can I leverage my existing System Center investment?
Have you already implemented a version of System Center Configuration Manager in your environment and want to leverage it for Windows 10? There are several supported on-premises scenarios:
If you have Configuration Manager 2012 R2 and Configuration Manager 2012:
- Can support existing features for Windows 10
- SP1 for R2 and SP2 for 2012 is available right now! No need to wait until Windows 10 launch!
If you have Configuration Manger 2007, we need to talk:
- SCCM 2007 can support managing some features of Windows 10 with severe limits
- No Operating System Deployment (OSD) Support
- Hotfix available Q4 2015
- Environments will need to use a different tool to support OSD.
A Summary of Windows 10 Support:
|Microsoft Product Versions||Release Vehicle||Release Timing||Windows 10 Feature Support|
|SCCM||Technical Preview, Generally Available||5/4 Q4 CY2015||New & existing features|
|SCCM 2012 SP2 & SCCM 2012 R2 SP1||Service Packs||5/14||Existing features|
|SCCM 2007||Hotfix||Q4 CY2015||Existing features (management only, no OSD)|
|Intune||Monthly Service Updates||5/4 App compatibility & management of Windows 10 features via custom policies with incremental updates to deliver full support||New & existing features|
Chart adapted from Microsoft.com
Are you ready for the next generation of Windows desktops?
Windows 10 is set to release on July 29 with plenty of new business-enabling features to deploy and manage. Whether you need help migrating to Windows 10 or upgrading your existing SSCM environment to support Windows 10 contact SWC or call 630.572.0240. We are a Microsoft Gold Partner and have extensive experience with Windows migrations and System Center upgrades.
You’re Invited to our Windows 10 Luncheon
Join your local Microsoft reps and SWCas we demonstrate the productivity, mobility and security features of Windows 10 that both your end users and your IT admins will love.
Free Offer from Microsoft & SWC
If you enjoyed this post from Adam, please check out a few of our past posts:
What’s Next for System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
Windows Server and Clients – Kernel Divergence
The Ever Changing Landscape of Identity Management
Making Optimized IT Delivery A Reality In Your Organization
Skipping Ahead to Windows 10
Built-in Mobile Device Management Is Now Freely Available for Office 365 Commercial Plans