Search Engine Optimization

April 8, 2012   //   SEO

Also known as “SEO.”

Either way the name doesn’t do the thing justice. With the launch of our own Chicago SEO practice I have gotten to know the power of this capability and its reach is way more than people think.

Generally speaking when Search Engine Optimization comes up most folks think the conversation is going to focus on how to get to the top of Google’s results page. Most people intuitively understand the importance of being on the top of a search list but the numbers are staggering. For me, there are two data points that I think say it all:

  • Page one search result listings receive 95% of searchers clicks.  In other words, if you’re not on page one the best you can hope for is to win the battle for the remaining 5% of search clicks.
  • The #1 search ranking receives 36% of the page clicks…In the world of SEO being the best is indisputable and disproportionately valuable.

So, yes, an important part of SEO is getting to the top of the Google (or Bing) search result list – but what may be more important than the result of SEO is the process in which SEO derives its results.

A great deal of SEO data comes from various applications that monitor, document and analyze web site activity, structure, and content.  This information is then juxtaposed against other sets of data that reflect the top performers in Google and Bing as well as (what most folks are interested in) how the competition is performing.  So basically, it’s the kind of information that tells you how your site is performing in the world of the Internet against the market and the competition. Things like:

  • What key words the search engines are looking for when they scan your site
  • What key words the search engines think you should be focused on
  • What key words your competition is focused on and how you rank against those competitors – for each keyword

But that’s not all…(sorry, couldn’t help it).  In a typical SEO engagement we are also able to really decompose a web site’s performance and analyze trends and patterns related to site traffic and activity. With some careful consideration we can begin to deduce:

  • Why viewers are coming to your website and how they got there in the first place.
  • What parts of each web page are visually compelling and draw the most clicks.
  • What messaging is working the best

In the end, all of this information provides us with a very clear sense for how to affect market strategy – not just for the company web site but for the company itself.

To learn more, please join SWC for our next informative Digital Marketing and Search Engine Optimization event.